Join Canadian Nuclear Laboratories in exploring the potential for a carbon-free mining future with the development of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) through a series of panel style seminar sessions.
9:00 am – 12:00 pm: SMR technology showcase
An opportunity to meet with SMR Vendors who will be available to share information about their various technologies and answer your questions in an informal setting.
No registration required for the SMR Technology Showcase, all are welcome.
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Seminar sessions
President Ajungi Group
Former Mayor of Iqaluit, NU
Session 1: The opportunity
A discussion of potential applications and economic feasibility of SMRs in the mining sector.
· Dr. Francois Caron, Director of the Energy Center, Bruce Power Chair in Sustainable Energy Systems, MIRARCO
· Eric McGoey, Director, Remote Generation Development, OPG
· Alyson Beal, Golder Associates Ltd.
· Nathan Tedford, Nuclear Technologies Lead, HATCH
Moderated by: Brendan Marshall, Vice President Economic and Northern Affairs, Mining Association of Canada
Session 2: The technology
Join us for an engaging discussion on the various technologies under development, and the wide range of potential applications for SMRs in both on-grid and off-grid locations.
· Mark Mitchell, President, USNC
· David Dabney, CEO and Co-founder, Starcore Nuclear
· Ryan Blinn, Program Director - eVinci Micro Reactor Development, Westinghouse Electric Company
· William Smith, Senior Vice President, Operations and Engineering, Terrestrial Energy
Moderated by: Dr. Keyes Neimer, SMR Deployment Manager, Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
Session 3: The path forward
What can government, national laboratories, regulators and potential host communities do to address challenges, support innovation and lay the foundation for the successful deployment of these technologies?
· Shawn Tupper, Associate Deputy Minister, Natural Resources Canada
· Dr. Shannon Quinn, Vice President, Science, Technology and Commercial Oversight, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
· Ramzi Jammal, Executive Vice-President and Chief Regulatory Operations Officer, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
· Blair Skinner, Mayor, Pinawa, MB
Moderated by: Mark Lesinski, President and CEO, Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
These sessions will be interactive, with ample opportunity for audience participation and engagement throughout the afternoon.
Registration is required for the seminar sessions. For more information, please contact: [email protected]