The Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) presents annual awards to recognize and honour outstanding achievement, accomplishment, and service of individuals and organizations in the Canadian mineral industry. Award recipients are honoured at the Awards Gala during the annual PDAC Convention every March in Toronto.
Bill Dennis Award
For a Canadian discovery or prospecting success
Named in honour of a former PDAC president, the Bill Dennis award is presented to an individual or team of explorationists who has accomplished one or both of the following:
- Made a significant mineral discovery in Canada with potential economic viability;
- Made an important contribution to the Canadian prospecting and/or exploration industry.
Thayer Lindsley Award
For an international mineral discovery
Open to individuals and teams of any nationality, this award honours the memory of Thayer Lindsley, one of the greatest mine finders of all time. The award is presented to an individual or team of explorationists credited with a recent mineral discovery with potential economic viability anywhere in the world.
Viola R. MacMillan Award
For company or mine development
In honour of Viola MacMillan, the longest serving PDAC president, this award is given to an individual or company demonstrating strong leadership in management and finance for the exploration and development of mineral resources. Recipients of this award will have accomplished one or more of the following:
- Made a significant contribution to the financial side of the industry;
- Recognized leader in raising funds for a particular area, development or project;
- Used new or innovative financing methods.
Skookum Jim Award
For Aboriginal achievement in the mineral industry
This award is named after Skookum Jim, the Aboriginal leader of the group that discovered the Yukon Klondike goldfields, one of Canada’s most important mineral discoveries. Recipients of this award will have accomplished one or more of the following:
- Exceptional achievement and/or service in a Canadian Aboriginal-run service business for the Canadian mining industry, or a Canadian Aboriginal exploration or mining company;
- Made a significant individual contribution to the mineral industry either technically, through a business venture, or through a mineral discovery.
Distinguished Service Award
Presented at the PDAC Board of Directors discretion, this award recognizes a PDAC member in good standing who has achieved one or more of the following:
- Made a substantial contribution to mineral exploration and mining development over a number of years;
- Given considerable time and effort to the PDAC;
- Made outstanding contributions to the mineral industry in the field of finance, geology, geophysics, geochemistry research, or a related activity.
Environmental & Social Responsibility Award
This award honours an individual or organization demonstrating outstanding initiative, leadership, and accomplishment in protecting and preserving the natural environment during an exploration program or operation of a mine. The Environmental & Social Responsibility Award also recognizes efforts to establish and maintain good relations with local communities during exploration or mine operations.