The objective of the course is to give participants sufficient training that they can understand the following:
• What the typical risks are in mineral exploration
• Completion of an elementary risk assessment of a task
• Investigating an accident
• Collection, compilation and understanding of health and safety statistics
• At a high level, how health and safety can and should be administered
• What the special risks are around drilling (accidents) and helicopters (fatalities)
The participants, if from a small company, will have enough information to start a health and safety (H&S) program, if such does not exist. If from a larger company, they will understand better what the company program is attempting to achieve, and also some specific technicalities of risks around drilling and helicopters. The course is targeted at those active in mineral exploration in the field, although management aspects of H&S will also be covered.
Bill Mercer, Avalon Rare Metals Inc.
Buck Page, CRSP, CPP. Vancouver Translink - Manager, Infrastructure Implementation Safety
Mark Wiseman, Avalon Rare Metals Inc.
Brian Maeck, Boart Longyear Limited
Corey Taylor, Great Slave Helicopters
Level of comprehension: Beginner to intermediate
(includes course material, continental breakfast and lunch)
PDAC is pleased to offer this course at a special rate as part of the Association’s ongoing leadership in Health & Safety, and its commitment to improving responsible exploration.