1932 Early on in the Great Depression, Walter Segsworth, a mining engineer, calls a meeting at the King Edward Hotel in Toronto to fight a proposed Engineers Bill put forth by the Ontario government that would require prospectors filing a work assessment to have the report signed by a mining engineer. They raise $168.45 and go on to lobby government. The bill is never passed.
1933 The name of the association is changed to the Ontario Prospectors and Developers Association (OPDA). Membership swells to 900. No fee is required and throughout the 1930s annual meetings are held in the Oak Room at the King Edward Hotel. The meetings are followed by dinner ($1.25 per person) and dancing.
1938 The association fights and defeats Section 32-B of the in Income Tax Act that would treat all prospectors’ equity in a property as income and taxable immediately along with any shares the person might receive.
1941 Walter Segsworth and a few members
gather at the house of George and Viola MacMillan to discuss the upcoming general meeting. George is nominated president. Viola notes at
the time that “George will make a very good president. I’ll see that he does.” Viola is elected Secretary-Treasurer.
1942 Through the efforts of Viola, the annual meeting is expanded to a full day convention that includes speakers, a four-course banquet and dancing. A $1 membership administration fee is introduced.
1943 The OPDA Convention is expanded to a two-day affair in February and the first edition of the association’s bulletin comes out. The motto: “We Lead.”
1944 With 1,700 members, the convention
outgrows the King Edward Hotel and is moved to the Royal York Hotel. Viola takes over as
1948 For the first time at the convention,
government geological and geophysical maps are displayed.
1954 The association’s office moves from 67 Yonge Street to a new building at 25 Adelaide St. West.
1957 The association changes its name to
the Prospectors and Developers Association (PDA). Geophysics is all the rage at the convention, especially when it came to presentations and discussions on the Bathurst Area of
1959 The convention is held jointly with the
Geological Association of Canada (GAC) and the Mineralogical Association of Canada (MAC), two
organizations the OPDA
helped to form in 1947
and 1955 respectively.
1964 Viola steps down as President and is
convicted for wash trading in connection with one of her companies in what became known as the Windfall scandal. She would later receive a full pardon and be made a member of the Order of Canada.
1965 No convention is held and the association almost disappears as the Ontario Securities Commission pushes forward to eliminate junior mine financing. The association survives thanks to Alex Mosher, Bill Dennis and a few others.
1966 The first annual hockey game is held at Maple Leaf Gardens between the Prospectors No-Stars and the Keevil team, the Teck Terrifics. Funds raised went toward bursaries.
1969 Claude Taylor is hired as full-time General Manager. PDA Digest is published for the first time.
1972 A record 2,830 registered delegates attend the convention, along with 350 students.
1975 Under the leadership of President James Walker and Vice-President Ed Thompson, regular director meetings are schedule on the second Tuesday of every month.
1977 The PDA’s campaign to get a 100% flow-through share write-off is passed into law and remains effective for the next two years.
1978 The annual awards are introduced with the first being the Bill Dennis Prospector of the Year Award.
1983 Former PDA President John Hansuld and his company Canamax Resources Inc. organize the first issuing of flow-through shares. Between 1984 and 1990, $3.75 billion would be raised through flow-through share financing.
1987 Tony Andrews is hired as Managing
Director and the association’s name is once
again changed, this time to the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada.
1992 For the first time ever, the convention is opened to the world and attracts a total 2,300 delegates, 37 of which are from other countries.
1994 The association’s first strategic plan
1997 The convention moves from the Royal York Hotel to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
1997 Mining Matters, a charity affiliated with
the PDAC that educates students about rocks, metals, minerals and mining is established.
1998 The PDAC takes part in the Mining
Standards Task Force and the subsequent
revision of National Instrument 43-101.
2000 The convention is
transformed for one year
into the 2000 Mining
Millennium—a joint venture
between the PDAC and CIM.
2003 The PDAC introduces e3 Environmental Excellence in Exploration, a field-proven guide of methods for exploration activities, community engagement and environmental practices.
2006 The convention attracts 14,500 attendees from 100 countries and is now without question the largest internationals showcase for mining and exploration in the world. The Aboriginal
Program is launched at convention. The PDAC Convention moves to the South Building of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
2007 The PDAC celebrates its 75th anniversary, the Student Industry Mineral Workshop
(S-IMEW) is launched in Sudbury, Ontario, and the Skookum Jim Award for Aboriginal achievement in the mineral industry is introduced.
2008 Former PDAC Past President Patricia Dillon and Assembly of First Nations National Chief Phil Fontaine sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that lays the foundation for cooperation between the two organizations. The PDAC also moves its office to 135 King Street East.
2009 The PDAC expands e 3 to e 3 Plus, a set of eight principles and three toolkits that exploration and mining companies can use to heighten their social responsibility, environmental stewardship, and health and safety.
2010 PDAC plays a major role in defeating Bill C-300.
2011 Ross Gallinger is hired as Executive
2012 A record-breaking number of attendees (30,369) attend the convention from 125
countries. The association develops a new
strategic plan, and embarks on a rebranding
process, that includes the creation of a new logo.